This article is for Shared-Owners and Wrapping Key Custodians.
- Safely store offline the 24-word recovery phrase generated on the Personal Security Device.
You must have:
- Configured your Personal Security Device. See Initialize your Personal Security Device .
- Written down the 24-word recovery phrase on the Recovery sheet. Then, use the card in the Ledger Cryptosteel to find out where each steel letter is located in the package.
Repeat the following steps on both sides of the Ledger Cryptosteel to safely store your 24-word recovery phrase.
Step 1. Unlock the frame
- Fan out the hinged front and back panels of the Ledger Cryptosteel to open it.
- Get a tile from the package and use it to rotate the upper right screw counterclockwise until it no longer turns.
The following two steps must be performed simultaneously:
- With one hand, use the tile to gently press on the safety lever.
- With the other hand, open the frame.
Step 2. Insert the steel tiles
- Get your Recovery sheet.
- Get the necessary letters from the package to write down each word on the Recovery sheet.
Only the first four letters of each word are necessary.
If any of your words only contains three characters (e.g. "Car"), make sure you add a blank tile at the end of that word.
- Slide the tiles of the first 12 words in the appropriate row and in the right order.
Step 3. Lock the frame
- Close the frame.
- Use a tile to rotate the upper right screw clockwise until it no longer turns to lock the frame.
- Turn over the Ledger Cryptosteel and repeat the above steps for the remaining 12 words.
Your 24-word recovery phrase in now safely stored in the Ledger Cryptosteel.
Refer to our Security best practices, for more information on how to store the Ledger Cryptosteel.